Friday, March 13, 2009

sleep

The last time I slept through the night consistently was before Flip was born. I have been napping ever since to make up for lost time. Even at 3 Flip still doesn’t sleep through the night. So he normally spends part or all of the night in our bed—I know some of y’all are cringing at that thought, but I didn’t ask you. On the nights that Flip starts out it his own bed, he comes to me around 4 am. And I think that is pretty good especially since I was told I shouldn’t expect to sleep well till all my kids are past the age of ten.
Then my genius husband and I agreed to get a puppy—really I just finally gave in to his request; which is also the reason I am pregnant again. I’m starting to see a troublesome pattern here. It just so happens that one week later I got the plus sign on the little stick.
So guess who is really not sleeping well now…ME! I am a light sleeper; if a pin drops in my house at night I hear it. Only my night time hearing is effective, during the day I’m practically deaf. We had to get a new mattress so I would feel Dexter’s tossing and turning at night (we got a king so he would stay on his side too). Now we add a whining puppy to the wakeful Flip, tossing Flip, morning (all day) sickness, and my suddenly small bladder.
It’s not like we pregnant ladies are tired—right. We can go on 2 or 3 hours of sleep like the good ole college days. At least that’s what my husband thinks. I had to tell him multiple times that the dog is his, so he better take him out. I gave in a few times and took him out since I was already up to pee, but I didn’t want Dexter getting the wrong idea so I stopped. Train ‘em early is what I say. Funny how my dogs are better behaved than my kid…
Dexter has always been a heavy sleeper. He needs 2, sometimes 3, alarms to wake him (I’m the third, kicking usually works). I have been trying to lay the ground rules that you set your alarm when you want to wake up, not an hour and a half before. He doesn’t seem to get it. And guess what, I wake up and kick him to turn the damn alarm off and Dexter merely rolls over. I think he and Flip should share a room till the baby is born.
I am born with an internal alarm. No matter how late I stay up or how many times I wake during the night I am up at the same time in the morning. I am going to start praying that along with patience for me that GOD give Dexter an internal alarm. Then I will take a baseball bat and break his alarm. I smile just picturing that.
Do y’all miss coffee like I do? Oh man, not drinking my morning cup has really messed with my routine. I am supplementing with caffeine free tea and it’s just not the same. I cheat some days and order a tall vanilla latte at Starbucks and it’s so good. There is nothing like restricting my caffeine when im dead tired. I think that those doctors just say that to piss us preggo girls off more. I’m not even going to get into the fact that I cannot drink my wine (for those of you that don’t know of this drink, it’s the one that men use to get women pregnant).
I cannot believe that it took a doctor this long to tell me this, but I go in for my month 5 prenatal check and I am scheduled with a male doctor (I am a prude so this is freaking me out a little). It was a normal check up until he asked a question I never heard uttered from any female doctors mouth. He asked if there was anything else bothering me. I quietly say that I still suffer from constant nausea, then timidly look into his face. Guess what is there—SIMPATHY! He feels badly for me that I have woken up every day for the last 4 months and either puked or felt like it. The female doctors would make some remark like “well, you’re pregnant, that’s to be expected.” But not this guy, he got his pen out and told me a little remedy that can ease some of that…vitamin B6 and one unisom taken in the morning and at night. That’s it? Why has no one bothered to tell me this till halfway through my second pregnancy, hmm? Oh wait, I just figured it out; I have been seeing female doctors up until this moment. They went through it so I guess I have to as well...HAHA, not anymore!
It does work. The point of this little side story is that now I take a unisom twice a day, so guess what. I’m so freaking TIRED. No good sleep, no coffee, the puppy, Fip and the never ending alarms. So you can only imagine how sweet I really am in the morning and really all day till Flip's and my naptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment