Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I dont know you, so why are you touching my stomach?

There is one thing that I will never understand...if you dont know someone, then why on earth do you think its acceptable to touch their stomach? Anyone? You shake hands on a first meeting and then take a step away so that you are the customary 3 ft apart. Thats how I have always done it.

Apparently when you have a basketball belly people forget common courtesy and instead of shaking your hand or standing back just to say hello they go straight for the belly. I can always tell a belly rubber by the look in their eyes. I have even had someone at the grocery store walk out of her way to rub my stomach and ask me when I was due.

Its usually a two handed rub too. And frankly, it weirds me out. My boobs are so big now that there isnt much space between them and my stomach so you can see how this is worrisome. I have never been a touchy feely kind of person. Im not a hugger and I dont touch my friends' arm or back when I talk to them. Im just a straight forward, no nonsense hand shaker.

Its kind of like when you have a low cut shirt and guys cant help but stare, except this time the lookers actually touch you too. Guys do show some restraint in this area. I have only been given spontaneous, uninvited belly rubs by women I dont know. Guys I know, know me well enough to not touch me--or they ask. I mean, its not like this happens at any other time of my life. I have never been given a belly rub down while not pregnant. I just dont get it!

The moral of the story kids is very similar to the wise saying "dont talk to strangers," I just changed it a bit..."dont touch strangers--preggo gals included." And for heavens sake, if you cannot control yourself then at least ask if its ok. Its not like we can run away fast enough. I think the next time it happens, Im just going to rub their stomach in response (not matter what condition the person is in). I will definitely let you know the responses I get...

1 comment: