Sunday, January 31, 2010

Antisocial behavior

I run for many reasons - to get in shape, to get out of the house, to exercise the dogs, and for mental health.  I take my ipod and a large, intimidating dog on both sides.  That coupled with the fact that I'm RUNNING (a faster form of walking) just doesn't make me very approachable. But that doesn't stop folks...

OK, so one of the dogs is a Great Dane and attracts lots of attention but obviously I am running, not at the dog park.  "That dog is BIG," they say.  Or "Whoa, what kinda dog is that?"  "Its a Dane and yes, he bites."   Yes, I say my dogs bite, it keeps long talkers and weirdos at bay.

So yesterday as I was running two people tried to stop me to talk.  As I jog in place and only pull one ear phone out, they just keep chatting and just don't get it.  I really don't feel like stopping, but cant seem to find a way to convey that to anyone.

And Ipods are not just for listening to music, they are excellent tools that allow you to ignore someone without flat out being rude.  If I was in the mood to chit chat I would be walking and not have my Ipod on.

Alright, back to my story...I escape the talkers just to run past a house where a lady actually stands and watches while her little fluffy, dust mop dogs run through the yard and charge my dogs.  But this lady clearly doesn't realize that  her dogs will die if they attack my Lab and Dane.  So I have to stop running and prevent certain death for the dust mop dogs and wait for the lady to saunter down her driveway to get her dogs.  At this point I am annoyed beyond reason (there is always very little logical reason for my annoyance or anger) and I can only give her a look...if I speak I may make her cry.  ARGH!!

I start to run again, faster this time, making no eye contact and pondering the amount of idiocy in the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment