Saturday, November 14, 2009

I need some Vivian time

The phone rings and I rush to it hoping the kids will sleep through it (one of these days I will learn to silence it before I put them down for a nap). Its a grandparent on the other line claiming that they are in desperate need of Vivian time. Apparently poor Flip is now put on the back burner--he is no longer interesting to them b/c he requires attention and the baby can just be held.

So we arrange a meet up. That means I get to deliver my kids to them, which means I get to pack up half the house, bathe them, make sure they have on the outfits that the grandparent we are visiting bought for them and DRIVE to the grandparent's house. But before we get out of the neighborhood we have to go back to the house to get the item or two we inevitably forget. Then we are really on the road by the second attempt.

Driving is awful! Sweet little Vivian does not - I repeat - does not like car rides. She cries and squirms and cries so more. I jiggle her seat, reach back and keep her pacifier in her mouth, sing, hold her little hand...but she still hates it. And that makes me hate it.

So we get there and Flip is ignored so he begs me to to play with him. Vivian falls asleep and is ok till she gets poked too much by the grandparents wanting to see her hand/foot/lips. So she wakes up and cries. So I have to feed her, which means that Flip is now alone since everyone wants to hold a baby not REALLY pay attention to that other kid of mine.

Then I finally get Vivian asleep again and its time to go. Gosh, doesnt that just sound like awesome fun!! The great part is the drive home...Flips unspoken, but noticeable disappointment from being virtually, Vivian's crying, and the hour in the car sitting in Atlanta traffic. And they wonder why I dont want to do it every single weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment