Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Baby Fever

I was at a little get-together for the holiday weekend and a young woman watched Vivian play (in a non-baby proofed house EEEK).  While she sat there, smiling at Vivian she made the comment that she had baby fever.  As any normal mother of a one year old, I told her exactly what she was missing.

I asked her if she enjoyed sitting down...for more than two minutes at a time.  She did not answer, but merely looked confused.  Then I asked if she likes to sleep in late at least one a day a week or sleep through the night ever.  A scowl appears on her face.  Then I asked if she likes to read, think, dress, shower, drive, go out, speak or any other common activity without being interrupted, climbed on or listening to incessant crying.  The scowl lifts and is replaced with a mixture of realization and fear.

Poor girl, I burst her little motherhood bubble.  Its not all naps and cute outfits.  Its a lot of hard work.  I wasn't being mean, just honest.  We all want a accurate job description before we sign up for work!

1 comment:

  1. YEAH. The baby books lie. They LIE! The baby magazines lie. They LIE!!! Kids are great, but people have to know the reality. Get a puppy first and see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete